Administrative Professionals Day (also known as Admin Assistant Day, Secretaries Day, or Admin Day) is a holiday celebrated every year on the Wednesday of the last full week in April. It's a day to show appreciation for the people who keep things organized, running smoothly, and make the workplace and business a better place for everyone.
About Administrative Professionals Day
Employers and companies often celebrate Administrative Professionals Day through gifts and other gestures of gratitude. To help you choose the best way to mark the occasion at your business, we’ve put together this quick admin day celebration guide. It includes five great Administrative Professionals Day ideas you can execute - even at the last minute.
What is the history behind Administrative Professionals Day?
Administrative Professionals Day originated in the United States in the 1940s when World War II led to a shortage of skilled administrative personnel. This led to the formation of the National Secretaries Association, later changed to the International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP).
U.S. Secretary of Commerce Charles W. Sawyer first declared "National Secretaries Week" in 1952, with Wednesday, June 4, designated as National Secretaries Day.
In 2000, the name of the holiday was changed to Administrative Professionals Week (and Administrative Professionals Day) to recognize the broader range of roles in the administrative field. Today, these occasions recognize the contributions and hard work of administrative professionals in a variety of positions.
Why do we celebrate Administrative Professionals
For organizations and their leaders, Administrative Professionals Day is an important opportunity to acknowledge the essential work of administrative professionals and their role in the success of the business.
They are the ones who answer phones, schedule meetings, organize files, and perform countless other tasks that make the business run like a well-oiled machine. They are often the first point of contact for clients and visitors, and play a critical role in creating a positive first impression of the company. Every employee or customer has likely experienced the rewards of an administrative professionals’ hard work, and this is a yearly opportunity to reward their hard work in return.
These individuals play a crucial role in keeping the office running smoothly, and on annual Admin Day is important to take a moment to thank them for their efforts.
With all that in mind, let’s take a look at some creative, memorable ideas for ways to celebrate 2023 Administrative Professionals Day with the admins in your life!
1. Start with a thoughtful Admin Day gift
Gifts are a great way to celebrate Administrative Professionals Day, as they are a tangible expression of gratitude and appreciation. Admin day gifts also don't have to be expensive or extravagant, but they should be thoughtful and meaningful. Here are some tips for giving gifts on Administrative Professionals Day:
- Make it feel personal: Consider the individual's interests and hobbies when selecting a gift. This shows that you've taken the time to get to know them and appreciate them as a person, not just as an employee. Not sure what they'll want or need to gift many admins at once? Give them the gift of choice and let them choose their favorite item out of a curated collection. It's easy to do so with Snappy. Learn more here
- Keep it professional: While it's important to personalize the gift, it's also important to keep it professional. Avoid gifts that are too personal or inappropriate for the workplace.
- Make it timely: The best time to give your admin their gift is on the day itself. With many working remotely or on shifts, that can easily be done by using a digital gifting platform that will deliver their gift through text and email a time you choose in advance.
- Add a personal touch: Consider writing a personalized note or card to accompany the gift. This shows that you've taken the time to express your appreciation in a meaningful way. More on that below.
2. Write a personal message
No Administrative Professionals Day gift is complete without an accompanying message expressing your appreciation. Not sure what to write? The more heartfelt and specific you can be, the better.
Remember, these are employees whose job is to make your organization’s staff’s lives easier, and they do a great job at it. Try to think back to all of the times that they’ve helped and mention specific stories, memories, accomplishments, and traits of theirs for which you are grateful.
Administrative Professional Day messages to use on Admin Day 2023
Need some inspiration for messages you can write for Administrative Professionals Day? Here are a few examples.
- Dear (insert name here), happy Administrative Professionals Day! I wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation for all of the hard work and dedication that you bring to our organization every day. Your tireless efforts to keep us organized, on track, and moving forward have not gone unnoticed.
- To (insert name here), I wanted to say thank you for the countless hours you've spent coordinating events, managing schedules, and always coming into the office with a smile. I'm grateful for all of the ways that you contribute to our success. Happy Administrative Professionals Day!
- Dear (insert name here), On this Administrative Professionals Day, I wanted to take a moment to reflect on all of the memories that we've shared together over the years. From your first day on the job, I knew that you were a true professional with a heart of gold. You always go above and beyond to help others, and your positive attitude and infectious energy are a constant source of inspiration for us all!
3. Offer the VIP treatment
As a profession that often focuses on others, administrative professionals deserve to feel special, too. And Administrative Professionals Day is the perfect occasion for it! Consider planning a day that focuses on giving the admin pros in your office the VIP treatment. This can include as many of the following as you’d like:
- Decorating their desk with balloons, streamers, banners, and confetti
- Taking them out to lunch
- Letting them leave early for the day
The important thing is to give them a chance to feel as valued and special as they are to you.
4. Get everyone involved
Admins can sometimes be unsung heroes, and Administrative Professionals Day is the perfect chance to sing their praises. With how influential they are to the entire organization, why not get more office staff involved in the celebration? Work together with other colleagues to build your admin a wall of fame.
Pick a centrally located bulletin board or wall and decorate it with:
- Description of things they’ve achieved
- Thank you messages from people at the organization or customers
- Funny or memorable stories
An added bonus? This gesture will also have a great business impact, as 83.6% of employees feel that recognition affects their motivation to succeed at work, 77.9% would be more productive if they were recognized more frequently, and 81.9% agree that recognition for their contributions improves their engagement.
5. Give a special development opportunity
In the modern work landscape, there’s one thing that employees have made clear that they’re interested in: professional development. In fact, 94% of employees say that they would stay at a company longer if it invested in their careers.
To meet this need, a great way to celebrate Administrative Professionals Day is to give your admin staff the opportunity to attend a professional development seminar or conference. They’re sure to greatly appreciate the help with their career and the chance to further grow and develop.
6. Support causes that are important to them
Did you know that 67% of employees prefer to work for socially-inclined companies? Especially the younger generations, including Millennials and Gen Z, care deeply about social and environmental causes and want to see their employers do the same.
So if you’re looking for an Administrative Professionals Day gesture that will have an impact far larger than your office and organization, consider supporting a cause that your admin staff cares about.
Frequently asked questions about Administrative Professionals Day
If you haven’t celebrated Administrative Professionals Day before, you probably have a few questions about it. We answer the top Admin Day FAQ questions below.
When is Administrative Assistant day?
Administrative Professionals Day (also known as Secretary Day) falls on the Wednesday of the last full week in April. In 2023, Administrative Professionals Day will be celebrated on April 26th.
Who is Administrative Professionals Day for?
Administrative Professionals Day honors admin pros in a wide range of industries and organizations. It includes receptionists, executive assistants, administrative assistants, office managers, and other office staff who work in an admin department. It is celebrated across corporations, non-profits, educational institutions, and government agencies alike.
How can I make Administrative Professionals Day feel special for remote employees?
With remote and hybrid work arrangements becoming increasingly commonplace, it’s important not to forget admin employees who work from out of the office. Thankfully, many of the ideas in our list above are relevant for remote workers. Snappy allows employees to choose where their gift is delivered to, so WFH admins can receive the exact same special experience as those in the office.
How can I show my appreciation for my administrative professionals throughout the year?
Administrative Professionals Day only comes once a year, but it’s always important to show your gratitude and recognition to the admin staff at your company. You can keep the appreciation going by offering regular rewards and positive feedback, providing consistent opportunities for growth and development, allowing flexible work arrangements, providing meaningful perks and benefits, and celebrating milestones and achievements as they come.
Make Admin Day a Special One
Whether you work with administrative professionals or you are one yourself, take a moment to celebrate this special day. It's a chance to recognize the invaluable contributions of these hardworking individuals and to say "thank you" for all that they do.
Ultimately, the most important thing is to make sure that your celebration is sincere and shows genuine appreciation for the important role that administrative professionals play in the workplace.